Functions and Responsibilities of NSS
- Making education more relevant to the present situation to meet the felt needs of the community and supplement the education of the university/college students by bringing them face to face with the rural situation;
- Providing opportunities to the students to play their role in planning and executing development projects which would not only help in creating durable community assets in rural areas and urban slums but also results in the improvement of quality of life of the economically and socially weaker sections of the community;
- Encouraging students and non-students to work together along with the adults in rural areas;
- Developing qualities of leadership by discovering the latent potential among the campers, both students as well as local youth (Rural and Urban), with a view to involve them more intimately in the development programme and also to ensure proper maintenance of the assets created during the camps;
- Emphasizing dignity of labor and self-help and the need for combining physical work with intellectual pursuits;
- Encouraging youth to participate enthusiastically in the process of national development and promote national integration, through corporate living and cooperative action.